What's This All About?

Lord Tennyson once said, "It is better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all." I believe that a lot of us out there would strongly disagree with this statement. Most artists express the happiness and joy that comes from love. There are fewer artists out there that show some of the complications that come along with love in their work. The pieces in this collection touch on some of the hardest (and sometimes most frequent) parts of love in many different types of relationships. The common theme that ties all of these pieces together is the frustration with love because for whatever the reason may be, these groups and pairs of people will never be united in a way that satisfies them.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"On Monsieur's Departure" ~Elizabeth I (1533-1603)


I grieve and dare not show my discontent; I love, and yet am forced to seem to hate; I do, yet dare not say I ever meant; I seem stark mute, but inwardly do prate. I am, and not; I freeze and yet am burned,  Since from myself another self I turned.
My care is like my shadow in the sun— Follows me flying, flies when I pursue it, Stands, and lies by me, doth what I have done; His too familiar care doth make me rue it. No means I find to rid him from my breast, Till by the end of things it be supprest.
Some gentler passion slide into my mind, For I am soft, and made of melting snow; Or be more cruel, Love, and so be kind. Let me or float or sink, be high or low; Or let me live with some more sweet content, Or die, and so forget what love e'er meant. 


The reign of Queen Elizabeth I has often been referred to as The Golden Age of English history. Elizabeth was a very popular Queen. She is still one of the most loved monarchs, and one of the most admired rulers of all time. She became a legend in her own lifetime, famous for her remarkable abilities and achievements. However we know very little about her as a woman, not a leader. She had the mind of a political genius and cared for her country very carefully.  She even used marriage as bait to lure in enemies.  She made England one of the most powerful and productive countries in the world.  (Thomas)
Elizabeth talks about how she attempts to put up a front of strong unhappiness and love for Francois, Duke of Alencon (she is torn between the two).  He was a potential husband for her (Thomas).  She talks about how she had to choose between the respect of her subjects who were strongly opposed to the unity of the two, or save her pride.  Unhappiness is her constant companion.  She has never found a way to expel it and believes that only death will rid her of it forever.  She also mentions how she wishes the Duke were more repulsive so that she would be able to get over him faster.  She doesn’t think that she will ever get her chance with love and expresses that she wants to die.  Elizabeth shows a perfect example of frustrated love.  She is forced to choose between her love for the Duke, of her love for her country and duty.  

No comments:

Post a Comment